Working with unions across Canada
Nelligan O'Brien Payne LLP has earned a reputation as one of the leading labour law firms in Canada. Recently the firm received the Top Listed Award from The Best Lawyers in Canada, 2017 edition, in Labour and Employment Law.
Our lawyers focus on representing unions in their relationships with employers. We represent the national offices and locals of a large number of this country's unions - both trade and professional - in the private sector and public service.
We provide advice on all aspects of:
- Organizing workers and getting bargaining rights
- Collective agreements interpretation and administration
- Making effective use of labour relations legislation
- Negotiation of federal and provincial collective agreements
- Representing members before professional tribunals
- Harassment rights
- Human rights and discrimination
- Union administration and member representation
- Maintaining member rights in restructuring situations
- Workers compensation
We act on behalf of unions and employees at grievance arbitration and adjudication hearings throughout Canada. We also handle cases before the Canada Industrial Relations Board, the Public Service Staff Relations Board, the Ontario Labour Relations Board, Human Rights Commissions, and Workers Compensation Boards, as well as all levels of courts.
The specialists in this group have broad experience doing appeals, applications for judicial review, injunctions, and all types of employment-related litigation.
We publish a regular blog, Labour of Law, which you can read or subscribe to.
Are you a leader or member of a union or association? Find out about our unique Union Consulting Group for unions and associations.